Hello Vegetables, Veggie-matarians and assorted Garden Folk;
"Experimental Garden Plot #1-A41110" has been moving along. I have been watering the bales trying to get them ready for planting. Since the weather has been so nice and Mother Earth News said it was okay to plant cold weather crops 1 month before the last frost date, I decided to plant 5 of the bags of topsoil. First I had to remove the top of each bag with a utility knife, leaving a 2 inch border. Upon opening the first bag of premium topsoil I discovered it to be less than desirable for planting. It was dense and compacted with no organic material. The seeds would not be happy if I planted them in this stale loaf of dirt. Fortunately I had several bags of "Compost with Manure" on hand, which I mixed in to provide a much more welcoming home for the seeds. The topsoil and compost mixture is much lighter now than just straight topsoil. I also mixed in a handful of 10-10-10 fertilizer as instructed in the article. Mother Earth News must have different dirt available in their area because I can't see the topsoil as purchased working very well. I also punched the required drainage holes throughout the bottom of the bags with a screwdriver. The "soil" underneath is mostly clay and gravel but "Mother" said this method can would in poor soil conditions. Additionally there is about 3 inches of space between the bags and the bales so I decided to utilize this narrow lane and amended it with the "Compost with Manure" as well. Finally I started the arduous task of planting the seeds in the 5 bags (roughly 24" x 18" each) as well as that 3" strip. On April 14, 2010 (a new record for the earliest I have ever planted anything) the following went into Experimental Garden Plot #1-A41110:
Spinach - Bloomsdale Long Standing - Bag #1 (2 rows)
Radish - Extra Early Cherry Belle - Bag #2 - (3 rows)
Lettuce - Buttercrunch - Bag #3 (1 row)
Lettuce- Black Seeded Simpson - Bag #3 (1 row)
Yellow Onions Sets - Bag #4 (3 rows)
Radish - Crimson Giant - Bag #5 (3 rows)
Pea - Snowbird - Edible Pod (in the 3" strip of space) (single row)
I know that some of you may be thinking 3 rows in such a narrow area seems a little too close for comfort, but this is an experiment. It is also basically just one large container garden so with ample water and nutrients I hope for success in these tiny spaces. I saw another brand of pre-bagged "Garden Soil" available and I am going to purchase 2 bags. It costs $4.97 per bag and from the description seems to be a mixture of topsoil and compost, similar to what I mixed myself for a small savings. I have some bare root strawberries for the end of the plot, and I will tryout this other product. I will also stick a few strawberries in the sides of the bales of straw as well. Today April 20, 2010 I plan to plant the following:
Yellow Onions Sets - Bag #6 (3 rows)
Beet - Detroit Dark Red - Bag #7 (2 rows)
Strawberries - Sequoia, Ozark Beauty, Quinalt - Bags #11 & #12
Pea - Snowbird - Edible Pod (in the rest of the 3" strip of space) (single row)
That will still leave Bags #8, #9, & #10 open.
Happy Gardening!
Dale
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment