Hello Assorted Gardening Friends;
"Experimental Garden Plot #1-A41110" is fully planted and starting to look more like a garden than a weird science project. Last week I took full advantage of our exceptionally early spring and planted all the bales so now I am watering something other than just straw! By the way, have you all noticed that the Lilac’s, Crabapples and other blossoms are almost a full month ahead of schedule this year, wow! That’s partly why on Wednesday, APRIL 28, 2010 I planted the bales of straw with the following:
Summer Squash - Green Gem Hybrid - Bale #1 (2 hills)
Summer Squash - Goldtender - Bale #2 (2 hills)
Tomato - Roma - Bale #3 (3 plants)
Cabbage - Dynamo - Bale # 4 (4 plants)
Tomato - Big Boy & Early Girl - Bale #5 (2 each)
Nasturtium - Jewel Mix - Bale #6 (5 hills)
Tomato - Cherry - Bale #7 (1 plant)
Tomato – Gold Dust - Bale #7 (3 plants)
Nasturtium - Fordhook Favorites - Bale #8 (5 hills)
Cucumber - Picklebush - Bale #9 (2 hills)
Cucumber - Spacemaster - Bale #10 (2 hills)
Pepper - Giant Marconi - Bale #11 (4 plants)
Pepper - Sweet Banana - Bale #12 (4 plants)
Marigold - Janie Primrose - Front Corners (4 plants)
Morning Glory - Picotee Blue at each end on trellises (4 hills)
NOW this the earliest I have EVER planted Tomatoes and Peppers, EVER! I mean we are in Northern Illinois after all and the last frost date is still a few weeks away, but since this is an experiment I decided to “go for it.” Plus the garden has a location advantage, some wind protection and the shed and bales absorb heat, and I can easily cover up the plants in case Ma Nature decides bring back a little winter weather. So throwing caution to the wind I planted the whole kitandkaboodle and as you see from the list I put in a few flowers for some color. Actually the Marigolds help keep pests away and all parts of the Nasturtium are edible and even are a source of vitamin C. The Morning Glory is a favorite flower of mine, however some species have edible parts or other medicinal uses such as a laxative or a hallucinogenic, but I will just admire mine for its blooms. (Okay here’s the starter for a round of “Six Degrees of Gina Ross”: The line "What's the story, morning glory?" is the opening to "The Telephone Hour" from the musical…???) In order to plant the bales I had to create a little pocket in the bales with a trowel for the plants or seeds. I filled each pocket with some of the store-bought compost and mixed in a little of the 10-10-10 fertilizer too. Not much different from planting directly into the ground really. According to my research the plants roots will work their way into the bale of straw as it continues to decompose. I have also purchased, as recommended by an online Bale-Gardener, a Fish Emulsion Fertilizer which it says to use about once a month. The plants and seeds should all mature and fully cover the bales. I have some trellises and cages for the tomatoes and cucumbers to vine up on. All of these plants are sort of on the second floor, up off of the ground, which is supposed to keep them healthier during the growing season. In my research I did not come across anyone who located their bales next to a building, the other examples were just sort of out in the middle of the yard and none seemed to be filled with such a variety. Fingers crossed and at the very least it already looks way better than the anti-swamp rat rock pile. Check out the photos because the “Bags of Dirt” section of the experimental garden is all sprouted and growing well. I need to thin the radishes already, which I plan to do this coming week. I read about using these seedling throwaways for a spicy crunch in a salad or stir-fry, which I will do. And speaking of eating, the wild Asparagus is up; I picked about 5 pounds last Thursday from my free clandestine roadside locations. I recently had the pleasure of some “Beer Battered Asparagus Spears”, an exceptionally delicious treat. These were just dipped in a thin Beer Batter and pan fried in a little oil (not deep fried) until crisp and tender.
Happy Gardening,
Dale
Sunday, May 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Looking good! Thanks for the tips this morning, got our garden all planted this afternoon
ReplyDeleteI love it. Can't wait to watch it grow
ReplyDelete